surface

Microsoft

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Just a little bit about Baby Carriers

  Today I would like to share a little about baby carriers. There are so many  types of baby carriers out there and there are different reasons for liking each of them. I currently own 4. My husband thinks this is a lot. Ha Silly husband. It really is a small stash, and mine have not been super expensive. I have an Ergo Original Starburst, LilleBaby Complete All Seasons Seahorse, a Beco Ring Sling, and an Infantino Sync comfort wrap carrier in Floral Burst. 

  Of these carriers I had the Infantino Sync first. It retails for $39.99 and is suited for 8-36 pounds, this carrier has been discontinued by the manufacturer but is still available in some places. It offers 4 carrying options infant carry on front, front carry facing in, hip carry, and back carry facing in. It is a buckle wrap, meaning there is an adjustable waist belt with buckle. Attached to the front of the belt are the two sides of the wrap. You simply put each side over your shoulders wrap under your arms around then cross in front, wrap around to tie in the back. After tying  spread out the crossed sections in the front for maximum coverage. Some people find this easier than a straight forward wrap, but it does not offer as many options for ways to wrap it.

  I find the Sync to be very comfortable and easy to use. I find it most useful with infants and young babies. Older babies and toddlers are a little too wiggly and can push away from the parent causing the crossed sections to separate and not hold them in. It does have a 36 pound weight limit but for me it does not last that long, and I have big babies. I still found it to be a worthwhile buy because of the low price point and how useful it is in the beginning few months. It is especially helpful now that we have four kids because I can hold the baby as much as she wants and still give attention to and get things done with the three older ones.

My next carrier purchase was the Ergo Starburst. I had a few other soft structured carriers that were inexpensive and served their purpose before purchasing my Ergo. Then I went to the zoo with my niece who had recently received an Ergo for a baby gift. At the time I had three kids and the youngest was 6 months older than her son. She started telling me how much she enjoyed being able to carry him and not worry if he would get tired of walking or being in the stroller. She had also had less expensive carriers but they started to be uncomfortable with the weight. After trying on the Ergo in comparison to the others it almost felt like she wasn't carrying him. I have to agree the quality makes a huge difference. The Ergo retails for $120 and is suited for 7- 45 pounds. Infants need to have the infant insert until they have more head control and their legs are comfortable in the seated position creating an "M" shape.

The shoulder straps on the Ergo are well padded, they provide a lot of support and make a big difference in parent comfort when carrying older or larger babies. It also has a wide waist band for comfort, a pocket that I can fit my wallet in, and a hood with snaps that attach to the shoulders. Ergo has a new Adapt carrier that is adjustable so it does not need an infant insert.

My next carrier purchase was the Beco Ring Sling. I was able to get this at a discount because I purchased the babywearing box last year from Baby Guy Box. The boxes are different each month and I have loved each one I have purchased. The Beco Ring Sling retails for $55 and mine is a beautiful blue. Beco pre-threads the sling through the rings so it is ready to put on and make minor adjustments for you and baby to be comfortable. They use a white thread on one edge and orange thread on the other edge to help you know whether you are pulling on the top or bottom rail when adjusting your sling. The fabric is strong and sturdy but does not get too hot. It is also easy to clean! I found this carrier to be very comfortable, easy to use and I keep it hanging on a hook in my kitchen for easy access. 

  My last baby carrier purchase, so far, was my LilleBaby All Seasons Seahorse. This Lille retails for $150 and I purchased during the 29% off sale so I got a great deal! This carrier is a beautiful teal and has white seahorses printed on it. Because it is the All Seasons version it has a zip down panel that reveals mesh. This allows for a good deal of airflow to keep the temperature in the carrier down. Sometimes it can get quite hot when you and your baby are snuggled up to each other walking around all day in the middle of summer. The mesh panel in this carrier is a life saver. I also like that I can just zip the panel up and still have a carrier suited for colder months. The Lille has well padded shoulder straps, a wide waist band and a hood all very similar to the Ergo. The Lille also has a lumbar support. I have back pain anyway and it is particular noticeable after a day of babywearing. The lumbar support certainly helps to lessen the pain that can be caused by carrying all the babies. I did wear my two year old while I was pregnant with our newest baby and used the lumbar support as a belly support. I centered it under my belly and I was comfortable while carrying my 36 pound boy around so he could have some mommy snuggles and I could get some housework done. Because if I didn't do it when I had the energy and motivation to do it it wasn't gong to get done at all.

There are some other baby carriers I would like to try

Lenny Lamb makes some beautiful wraps that they make into ergonomic carriers, a buckle Onbu, wrap ties and others. Those three I would particularly like to try.

I have never tried a Tula. Tula also makes a Coast carrier that has a large mesh center panel I would like to try.

I would like the LilleBaby Airflow and I'd like to try their toddler size carriers.

I am also particularly interested in trying a few Kinderpack carriers.

There are facebook groups for babywearing to share the love and to buy, sell, and trade carriers. If you use a b/s/t page make sure it is a page that uses a feedback page as well. These pages have strict rules for listing and interaction guidelines.

Amazon is also a great place to purchase baby carriers if you know what one you want.





A few random giveaways I found today

$1000 giveaway for Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance fans


Earth Mama Angel Baby Bundle of Suds


Mama + Mini Giveaway





No comments:

Post a Comment